View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 04:00 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Yes.. It is true I am a DDS, but I was lucky enough to grow up in FL and go to spring training games. I began with lots of letters with a SASE, and bought some stuff from Bill Zekus. I began with Doug Averitt in the 80's and have bought some from Jim Stinson, whose opinion I value a lot. I also got some autos from Richard Simon 20+ years ago . I got some negro league stuff 15-25 years ago as I could. Additionally I partnered and bought a Napoleon Lajoie autograph book with Doug Averitt and picked up Hulbert and a Joss, in fact it is the Joss in Ron K's book....Jim knows about this item!!!
A member of this sight bought the Wilkinson envelope I was considering but I was a dollar short and a day late so to say.
Needless to say the economy and 2 boys have curtailed my " heavy" buying for the past few years. I need Willis,Davis, Selle, McPhee, O'Day, Cooper, Sol White, Mendez, Torriente, Suttles, Mackey,Grant, Hill, Rogan, Smokey Joe Williams, Santop, and Wilkinson...so it is 17 total.
Remember I started years ago and I believe that with the exception of Ruth and Gehrig ...most vintage autos were real . And even with the fakes of Mantle, Ted Williams, and Di Maggio, most autos were real until the 90's when eBay and fraudulent criminal dealers entered the market. There is no way that I would consider beginning that quest now to get every HoFer.
One thing that has helped tremendously was "gambling " on the Veterans and Negro committee selections. Many of these negro league and veterans committee selections I have had for 5-20 years before election... so my up side has been amazing.
Additionally I need only Lefty Williams and Fred McMullen to have all 8 Black Sox.....Shoeless Joe is on a document.
The last 5 years I have concentrated on players who died during the season only...and my only want on this is Miguel Fuentes; as well as umpires and execs from the 1800s forward, and also 19th century ball players. Jim Stinson and Bill Corcoran have helped me on this.
Enough pontificating I love this site and am glad I found it last month.
Happy collecting!!!
Any questions I will be happy to answer.
Who knows next I may talk about insurance, security systems, safes, and bank safe deposit boxes.