View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Nice Younts also don't come up for sale as often as one would think. I suppose people who own these cards, in general, genuinely adore them and would rather keep them in a collection than flip them for a couple hundred bucks.

I managed to score a reg-sized Yount 8.5 that I just love-- 9s are indeed very pricey. It's one of those cards that has a flaw only visible at certain angles; so in-hand, head-on it strikes me as perfect, then I rotate it and see the imperfection. Very easy to admire it only from its better angles, lol!

I've also seen several guys in their 30s-40s rediscover their hobby lately, and the first things they go for are the cards they had and loved as kids. And I have to think that if I personally see a few of such guys, there are many more outside my limited vista. So that may go towards explaining the scarcity and some price bumps we're all seeing.

All it really takes is two passionate collectors to set a new price bar, then a few BINs around that new bar get hit, and say goodbye to the old price level.

Hey..thats me! I am 43 and one of the first sets/cards I got last year when I got back in was a nice Yount and a nice Brett rookies. Both are raw, but NrMT...so much so I have thought about having them both graded (even though I am not a graded card guy). I am a harsh grader and still think they may pull 7s...the Yount maybe an 8? My wife thinks they are perfect...but as you mentioned...when you really look hard there are slight, slight imperfections.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03