View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 11:49 AM

Default Shaun, a huge thanks for enlightening us on the 1947-50 BOND BREAD Jackie Robinson

Shaun,

First off, I sincerely apologize for not commenting until today. I "was called away from my computer desk" to do some serious shopping with my wife and son. Anyways, I was so looking forward to your responses. My friend, you sure gave us a wonderful dissertation on this magnificent set.

Your "B" is stunning. Targeting African-American communities nationwide truly makes sense, as this was a major step which represented and greatly interested African-Americans throughout the USA. Thus, wherever Bond's distribution regions coincided with Black communities, those cards could have been given out.

Just a comment to substantiate "A": I was a student at Ball State University when the gorgeous 1977 Wonder Bread Stars Wars set was released. As this was the bread used by the dorm cafeteria, I had access to the loaves lying out to makes sandwiches. The Star Wars free prize card was lying in the poly bag with the bread. I helped myself to many a card while preparing peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch. My point is that the oil from the Wonder Bread would absorb into the card from the time it was packaged at the bakery, until the moment the consumer got to claim his free prize. Now, my memory on this next particular point is not as sharp, but can you verify this Shaun-----I DON'T SEEM TO RECALL ANY OF OUR SUBJECT LATE 40S BOND BREAD REGIONAL JACKIE ROBINSON CARDS BEING STAINED BY BREAD OIL, AND THEREFORE SUBJUGATED WITH THE DREADED QUALIFYER OF "ST".

USING SHERLOCK HOLMES ANALYSIS AND DEDUCTION, IF YOU CAN CONFIRM THE ABSENCE OF STAINED CARDS, THEN I WOULD DEDUCE YOUR "A" EITHER / OR ANSWER POINTS TO YOUR SECOND CHOICE----THE CARDS WERE GIVEN TO BREAD DELIVERYMEN, GROCERY STORE OWNERS, AND THEN FINALLY LOCATED AT THE CHECK-OUT STATION, WHEREUPON A CUSTOMER WOULD BE PRESENTED WITH A BOND BREAD JACKIE ROBINSON CARD WHEN THEY PURCHASED BOND BREAD.