View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Dan Mabey

Cool 1962P Canadian Baseball Card Panels

Paul --

The number of cards per panel vary, depending on the variety and size of the cereal box. The boxes of 14 oz. Bran Flakes, 12 oz. Grape Nuts Flakes, and 10oz. Alpha-Bits displayed 7 cards per panel. The boxes of 8 oz. Bran Flakes, 7 oz. Grape Nut Flakes, 7 oz. Alpha-Bits, and 9 oz. Oat Flakes displayed 5 cards per panel. The boxes of Grape Nuts had 4 cards per panel, and the Sugar Crisp perforated insert panels were exclusively in 6 card sheets. [NOTE: In those cases where you see 3 card perforated sheets, they are simply Sugar Crisp panels that were separated by collectors.]

The number of surviving 1962P Canadian baseball card panels visible to the hobby since 1980 is miniscule. I have seen only one (1) complete box panel (which includes the promotion block) in 35 years. If I recall correctly, this is in the possession of Mike Tiry, who sent me a nice color copy of the 14 oz. Bran Flakes panel featuring Johnny Blanchard and Robin Roberts. The perforated Sugar Crisp complete (i.e. intact) panels I have seen offered number about 20. I have 6 of the 8 Sugar Crisp panels in my possession, and full-sized color copies of the remaining 2 -- including the Whitey Ford Los Angeles Dodgers error. My opinion is that a pristine (stone cold mint) condition uncut Sugar Crisp panel would be valued four (4) times greater than the market price for each individual mint perforated card.

This leads to the question: What is the "right" value for individual 1962P Canadian baseball cards? Since my first edition of NORTHERN EXPOSURE in 1996, I have evaded making this determination. I came up with a formula, called the Mabey Price Primer (MPP), that attempted to extrapolate "then-priced" values of U.S. 1962 Post baseball cards and factor true scarcity (cereal box variety/size, single prints, player-to-panel (PTP) pairings, etc.) of the 1962P Canadian baseball cards. What was my conclusion in 1996, and now in 2014? The bilingual NM to EX+ condition English-French cards are VASTLY undervalued. Of course, the ultimate determinant of value is what a person is willing to pay. The evolution of eBay has destroyed my 50 year collector value construct, as I see people paying jaw-dropping amounts for the super tough cards. I honestly cannot comment on the reliability of current price guides, because I haven't bothered to see one in 8 years. When I was very active in the hobby in the late 1970s through early 1990s, I knew many of the respected and high-profile dealers and collectors that Beckett, SCD, and Canadian Sportscard Collector relied upon in publishing values and market trends. With eBay and various high profile auction houses, I couldn't even begin to assess (or justify?) the knowledge, mental stability, or motivation, of buyers. All I know is what I would be willing to pay for a Post or JELL-O card, based on the factual and logically interpreted data accumulated over the past 35 years.

OK -- I'll shut up now. You're probably regretting asking the questions! Have fun collecting and acquiring the cards you love. Remember, it's a hobby -- it's supposed to be a diversion from the stresses of life, not place a greater burden on your shoulders.

KEEPMEPOSTED! Dan.