View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The copyright date reflects the year the item was submitted to the Library of Congress, not the date of commercial issue of the set. I can copyright a book today and not offer it for sale until next year.

Beware of errors of inductive reasoning: Reference to an event on a card indicates only that the copy on the card was drafted no earlier than the day after that event, not that it was issued on a specific date after that. For example, referring to a December 8, 1948 trade on a card means that the card bio was written some time after 12/8/48. Saying it was issued in 1949 is an assumption based on the likely date of issue given that bio; not saying it is wrong, just that it is not direct evidence. What if Leaf rolled out the set for Christmas? It would be a 1948 issue.

Hi Adam

Copyright ('48 or '49) has created this dilemma for decades. And, a good part of this is because there aren't too many dudes here as old as I am that remember when we collected
these LEAF BB cards as kids. I have said it in a prior post in this thread. But, I guess I'll have to reprise it again: "I have compared notes with old-timers in the hobby who collected
these cards in their youth. And, absolutely NO ONE recalls purchasing these cards in 1948.

However, some here do not accept this fact. So, I appeal to your common sense of logic....with the dated facts on these player's bios, and Orval Grove's bio (thanks to Lorewalker),
which alludes to the Dec 14, 1948 Grove / Wynn deal....how the hell can anyone think that this set of BB cards was issued in 1948 ? ?

MVP in 1948 (announced in mid-December 1948) …... Gustine traded to Cubs on December 8, 1948 .……. "Should sizzle into his old stride this year" (1949)
. .

TED Z

T206 Reference