View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 06:16 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Bob:

The funny thing is I agree with all you say. And I am now a post war collector with all the characteristics you describe for Pre War collectors.

This has gotten more out of hand than I expected. I figured using only PSA for reference would make it easier. Adding other TPG's will only confuse the situation more.

Wonder if we will find a complete set on the registry in either Pre or Post war sets with NO other cards in the POP report? That would be the ultimate.
LOL

Fred,

I hear you. I went the other way and started Post- before going more Pre-War myself. Still, like you, I tend to follow Pre-War collector attributes overall.

And because it seems the investing side of things keeps growing so much, and other factors like Ebay's evolving authentication requirements, I expect even more and more vintage cards in the hobby will continue to be graded in the future. So that 1954 Blossom Dairy set may only be the correct answer to your Post-War question for now, and can change down the line.

Seems to me, based on your parameters, the only way to definitively know for certain that someone has the rarest possible complete, graded set out there, is if one person could somehow acquire every single card of a set where only one of each card in that set exists, and they have all the cards in that unique set graded by PSA. Off the top of my head, the 1904 Allegheny Card Co. and 1921 Herpolsheimer card sets would be perfect. I'm probably forgetting, or am unaware of, some others.

The problem though would be finding someone with enough time, patience, connections, and probably most importantly money, to eventually be able to acquire every single unique card in either of those sets. Whoever did try to do that would most likely have to pry some cards out of the cold dead hands of some very dedicated type card collectors, to have any possible chance of ever completing such a goal. I know I actually have a card from each of those two unique sets myself, and am not looking to sell either one of them.