View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 11:54 AM
And.rew Whi.te

In the mid to late '70's I had heard from someone who actually sends cards away to old ball players and gets their autographs sent back to them. As a 15 year old who ate, slept and drank baseball history I was shocked that I could send a card to King Carl Hubbell, Yogi Berra and others and get an autograph sent back to me. The whole idea of TTM autographs was so new and foreign to me but one I jumped in with both feet.

Probably my best return was Joe DiMaggio. When I received this card back I was never sure if it was truly Joe D's auto as I heard his sister was a big signer of his cards. I had two people I knew to be baseball autograph experts look at my card and they both indicated it was a genuine signature. I sent it away to PSA not for their authentication but for their encapsulation as this was something I wanted to share with my kids without it getting destroyed in the process.

I received many autographs from the greats in the mail but I think, tome, the DiMaggio was my best return as he was just so much of a legendary figure in my young mind at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dima001.jpg (60.2 KB, 257 views)