View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Jacksons,
I actually had the NYY 1923 Opening Day tickets auction on my eBay watch list. I'm sure that you noticed that the same seller had a 2nd auction that had a program to the same game. BTW, the program sold for over $5,000 as well. Quite a haul for auctions listed on eBay! Even after auction fees the seller netted about $10,000 for the two auctions.

Regarding scarcity of tickets to this game:
About 74,200 people attended this game. Quite a large crowd, all things considered...

It's not that other tickets to this game don't exist, it's that it's frequently difficult to absolutely nail down whether a circa 1920's Yankees Opening Day ticket is from this specific game. Mostly all Yankees tickets from this era do not have dates or year on the ticket. Bleacher and grandstand seats don't even have seat numbers on them. The sponsor Canada Dry was on the back of Yanks tickets for more than one year. The ticket price of $1.10 was the going price at Yankee Stadium for many years. I own other similar tickets from this era where the front of the ticket has the game number with a circle around it.

What really cinched the deal for the seller was that he also had the program to the same game. By connecting the dots, it captured the imagination and interest of quite a few rabid collectors. For those of you that missed the auctions I included photos of both the tickets and programs for you to look at. Pretty cool!

If you are diligent in your search you will see others. They are out there...
Here is a better picture of the $5,000 program/scorecard from the 1st game at Yankee Stadium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yankee 1923 1st game at Yankee Stadium Program.jpg (75.8 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-24-2011 at 10:07 AM.