View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 AM

I'm with Steve and Tony, I never even saw the Gandil, Baum or the other 1909 Obaks which were offered and I check the new listings a couple of times each and every day
The Baum looks nice despite the hand cut. Interestingly, SGC used to regularly grade every 1909 Obak which the frameless back variation as "Authentic" until only a few years ago. I have several beautiful frameless cards in AUT slabs because of this and all of them appear to measure correctly and don't have the funky cuts these cards do. I have picked up some upgrades with frameless backs the past few years which SGC DID grade with numerical grades. I remember 4 or 5 years ago Leon and I discussed this problem and I believe Leon spoke with the graders at SGC about this and apparently he made his point as they started being graded not long afterwards. The other "gripe" I had was SGC knocking down the grades on 1910 and 1911 Obak because they had those small purple numbers stamped on the back. This was also rectified a few years ago with slabs saying "stamped on back" or something of this nature. Too bad that there are some otherwise SGC 60s and 70s which are in SGC 30 holders because of the stamped backs.
I like the Baum card and think it was a nice buy. The background color seems a little different than mine, maybe one of us has a color variation similar to the T206 reds/oranges of Tinker, etc?????

Last edited by tbob; 02-10-2011 at 10:31 AM.