View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

The final standings are in, with the number of kills next to each player listed. The red guys are the unlucky seven who will barely miss out on Man Cave Immortality.

I feel good about the results and DEFINITELY don't feel like any undeserving players will end up in the display. I think you all helped reduce the bias I tend to assign to the superstars of the late-1970s and early 1980s. As a kid reading the backs of baseball cards, George Foster and his .320/52 season stood very, very tall, and Dave Parker's 1979 All-Star Game performance convinced me he was probably the best player ever!

I will say, other than with Munson, that this forum's voters tended to value longevity and consistency above guys who lit the world on fire for just a few seasons. And to echo one of the voters, it made me happy to see Garvey do well here.

The only thing I feel badly about, and it has nothing to do with the votes here, is that I would have liked to keep 53 Bowman Color Minoso (3 kills) over 1979 Topps Murphy (3 kills). However, there is some organization by year/era that would fall apart if I tried to stuff in one more 1950s card whereas I had an open spot in my 1976-1980 row. While I love the 53B Minoso card, I suppose a way I could still sneak Minnie in would be to use his 77T RB card instead. Will have to think about that one.

INFIELDERS
3 Dick Allen
1 Steve Garvey
1 Ron Santo

CATCHERS
1 Thurman Munson
0 Gary Carter

PITCHERS
5 JR Richard
2 Don Sutton
0 Phil Niekro
0 Rich Gossage
3 Luis Tiant
1 Bruce Sutter

OUTFIELDERS
6 George Foster
3 Minnie Minoso
1 Jim Rice
3 Dave Parker
3 Dale Murphy
5 Fred Lynn
1 Richie Ashburn
0 Andre Dawson
1 Monte Irvin

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/