View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly View Post
Not really understanding the Dave Parker snub. He was a "show stopper" when he first came up in the 70's. I'll admit that he faded after 8 or 9 years, but when he first came up, a person might go to a game to see Parker. He was a physical specimen. You didn't want to be on line getting food or drinks if he was up.
Please, please, absolutely no offense meant on the snub of Dave Parker, nor anyone I mentioned that I would leave out.

I had pretty much lost all interest in current baseball by about the end of 1972. The burgeoning adult card collecting hobby was taking off, and I was consumed with baseball history from the 1930s through the 1960s, and collecting cards from those eras. I did enjoy some current baseball thereafter, but it was only sporadic. I am sure you know what you're talking about regarding Mr. Parker.

My time was getting limited back then, and I guess I simply directed it to what I found interesting----Ted Williams' autobiography, MY TURN AT BAT, the book, THE BOYS OF SUMMER, a book on the 1927 New York Yankees, Robert Creamer's biog of Babe Ruth, and so on.

With Fred Lynn, he had a terrific rookie year, and the Red Sox had a super year, making the Big Red Machine grind out seven long games to beat the Sox, including perhaps the greatest game EVER played, when Fisk won it with his tremendous home run! After his rookie year, Freddie just never seemed to improve.

We all probably have teams, eras, and specific players we really enjoy. As I said, I have liked a lot of guys through the ages whose peak was perhaps all too short, but still had a few seasons, or maybe even just one, that caught a lot of fans attention, and my attention and admiration. Ed Walsh in 1908. Joe Wood in 1912. Rube Marquard the year he won 19 straight. Hack Wilson in 1930. Dean Chance in 1964. Minnie Minoso in his first stretch with the White Sox. Billy Pierce with the Giants in '62; did you ever study what he achieved when he pitched at Candlestick Park---he was close to unbeatable. Lefty Grove is fascinating. Until he had to develop a curve after he lost his fastball, 'ol Robert Moses just reared back and threw it in as hard as he could---just challenging the hitters to try to hit him. The banner years of Joe Jackson with Cleveland---Wowwwwwwwwwwwww.

Then there's someone like Harmon Killebrew. It was always a treat to pull The Killer. I love Roger Maris. I began collecting in 1961............. .

Ernie Banks, Don Drysdale, Sandy Koufax, and of course, Mickey Mantle.

Our favorites are all over the place. I really admire the 1956s---Herb Score, Don Newcombe, and the aforementioned Minnie Minoso. The best card in the set is Mickey Mantle, and I dearly wish I still had that one.

Just rambling, my friend. You could probably talk about Dave Parker for 15 minutes and more, just telling stories of games you saw on TV and favorite Parkers you pulled--where you were, how you felt about it, and which poses were his best to you.

It's a colder, increasingly tougher world out there. Baseball cards don't soothe the deepest issues of life and death, but enjoying our old baseball cards, and even some of the modern post career cards of the players we love, do help bring a little sunshine and serenity amidst all the chaos.

It's all good, bros. Let's keep having fun. We need it.

Cheers.

Moreover, L'Chaim.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 11-27-2015 at 11:27 PM.