View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 03:32 PM
Jonathan Sterling

This post brings up a lot of memories. The First is the Old Judge proof sheets. My Dad and I visited the library of congress with the express purpose of seeing their baseball card collection. My Mom was a librarian so even at 14 I knew my way around a library catalog. Started with some albums and boxes of 19th century sports and non sports cards. Then the docent said he knew of some nice baseball items. He returned with a cart full of boxes that contained the Old Judge Proofs. Having them in my hands was almost surreal. We spent hours just going through them just My Dan and me in a room with the old judge proofs. I remember discussing with the staff how valuable these were and they seemed surprised.
Secondly I remember the article about the number 68 Ted williams. Back when Detroit was the center of the baseball card collecting world. It is a shame that fakes have permeated our hobby even from the beginning. I remember the 63 Rose rookies and how a guy showed up at a show I think in New Brunswick NJ with a few and The first red flag was he was selling them cheap ( less than 50% of market) If I remember he was asked not to sell the cards by the promoter. He claimed of course I bought them from a guy who swore they were real.
Nothing new under the sun and that is a shame.