View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian bam bam View Post
For some reason roger Clemens doesn't sign his 1987 donruss diamond kings card. I've only seen one ever.
The story I heard was that Rocket had a friend who was an artist and Clemens wanted his friend to be able to paint the portrait of him for the set instead of Dick Perez. I don't know if that's true or not, it seems unlikely he would have even known the card was coming out beforehand unless there was some special permissions he had to give.

That was the only thing I ever heard about his reasoning but it's definitely true, or at least was for a long time. I saw him at a charity signing in Winter Haven many springs ago and when I presented that card he told me he wouldn't sign it. He had a small basket filled with a bunch of his different cards and told me I could change it out for any one of them. In the line I didn't really have time to ask him why, and I've always regretted not asking.

Since the whole PED thing he's been signing very well when he's around, I wonder if maybe he's relaxed on that policy.