View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Thank you for all of the kind words. I greatly appreciate it. This is one of the few forums where people would enjoy this. Most of my Olympic collector friends, those folks who had tables in the Olympic pavilion at the National, are more interested in pins, medals and the such. For a few of them the first thought would be: ‘How much would this sell for in one of the Olympic auctions?’. This is staying with my photograph collection and eventually my college.

I have fully identified all of the signatures on the number. I did it the first night as I have had most of them in my collection.

Of the 45 signatures, 44 competed and one was an alternate on the relay team that did not compete. It contains all of the athletes (3 per event except relays) who competed in the following events, along with U.S. medals in that event:
100m (gold, silver), 200m (gold, silver), 800m (gold), 1500m, 5,000m, 10,000m, 110m hurdles (gold, silver & bronze), 3000m steeplechase, 4x100m relay (gold), 4x400m relay (gold), high jump (bronze), pole vault (gold, bronze), Long Jump (gold, bronze) and triple jump.

In these events there were less than all three competitors and medal winners if signed:
400m – 1 (bronze), marathon – 1, 400m hurdles – 2 (gold), 10km walk – 2, shot put – 1 (silver), discus – 1 (bronze), hammer – 2 (bronze) and javelin – 1.
None of the competitors in the 50km walk or the decathlon signed it. To me it is complete as it is, but there are at least three living who did not sign it and one is a gold medalist.

For the person that asked, some of the names you may recognize who did sign: Harrison Dillard – multiple gold medal winner, Mel Patton – gold medal winner and on the cover of Life magazine, Mal Whitfield – multiple gold medal winner, Tuskegee Airman in WWII and lives here in Washington, D.C., Johnny Kelley – Boston Marathon legend.

Last edited by Michael B; 09-28-2013 at 02:00 AM.