View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default Pete Rose Can Rot

Posted By: Kenny Cole

Actually, a violation of Rule 21(f) does not mandate a lifetime suspension. In 1947, Leo Durocher was suspended for one year while manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers for a violation of Rule 21(f), i.e., for "conduct detrimental to baseball." His offense? Consorting with mobsters, gangsters, and other character types viewed as unsavory by the Baseball powers that be. He was back in 1948 and obviously went on to manage the Giants and make it to the HOF.

In any event, I think it is a little self-delusional to believe that Rose was banished for any reason other than betting on baseball. If you want to believe that there was some other reason, you are certainly entitled to do so. However, there isn't much evidence supporting such a view that I know of. Indeed, Fay Vincent and Bart Giamatti made it pretty clear that, in their opinion, Rose was betting on games. I suspect that they had more information about what was going on than you or I.

As for Joe Jackson cards, my two personal favorites are the Cracker Jacks and the E90-1. Some of his game cards and strip cards are cheaper though.