View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default Pete Rose Can Rot

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

The point was made a few posts ago that the HOF is not controlled by MLB, etc. Though true for the most part, one link remains.

The HOF, after Rose's banishment, changed their election rules so that no player on MLB's permanently ineligible list was eligible for election. Thus, if MLB takes Rose off of this list, Pete Rose will appear on the ballot (unless the HOF changes their rules again, maybe stating that a player spending any time on that list is ineligible). Essentially, by removing Rose from the permanently ineligible list, Bud Selig and MLB are putting Rose on the HOF ballot.

Other Rose views . . . .

Rob Dibble wrote an article that actually made a few good points. He reminded us that the HOF is a museum reflecting the rich history of the game, and by keeping Rose out of it, a piece of history is essentially erased, censored out. From that viewpoint, is it fair to the fans of the game that Pete Rose's contributions, both good and bad, are largely ignored? Dibble argues that Rose should be Hall-eligible, but still doesn't think that Rose should be allowed back in a managerial role.

I have a question. For those that think that Rose might have made in-game decisions on games he allegedly bet on the Reds to win that negatively impacted players' careers or future games or potential playoff spots, has any research been done to try to determine if any questionable decisions were made? For example, did he bring in a closer (Dibble, perhaps) 3 or 4 straight nights instead of resting him for a day? Did he not give a day off to a hurting but productive star player? I'd be curious if there are answers to this question and those similar to this that would support claims that Rose committed selfish acts through his managerial role to win bets? SABR ever research this? The Dowd Report details bets and some of their outcomes, but not the "how" for Reds games. Any thoughts?

Since this is a vintage card forum, I'll ask a vintage card question. How in the world did Hal Chase get 5 cards in the T-206 set? He wasn't the best player of his day.