View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
He disappeared for a long time. I had heard he was a little bitter about the whole "Dr. Strangeglove" comments and getting an ovation for picking up a hot dog wrapper one time. My first one had thumbprints and was a little smeared. I got it at the '89 National thanks to word of mouth from friends of friends. The story that went along with it was he did a show and showed up drunk, signed for about 10 minutes and left. He was non-existent and by sheer luck the same friend that help me get it was getting Reggie Jackson's autograph at a National Sporting Goods Association show in Atlanta and Dick Stuart walked up and Reggie seemed star-struck meeting the man that held the minor-league season home run record! My friend got a business card and I sent a couple '64 Giants, both returned personalized to me. He did one or two shows after that that I can remember. Part of the toughness of the card signed could be that it is an SP and a popular set? I don't really know if any of his other cards are tough signed.
I don't think he was bitter about "Dr Strangeglove" and from some of the stories that I've read he spread the story about the hot dog wrapper himself...When he was in Lincoln he was so disinterested in playing defense that he would go out in the outfield and have his glove stuck under his armpit while he shelled peanuts....he also at times would barely move for a fly ball and if he let it go he would blame the center fielder for not going after it...the manager Larry Shepard got angry at him and moved him to first base so he would have to stay alert.

I know I'm biased, but he's such an interesting character that I'm surprised nobody has written a book about him yet.