View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default PERFORATION ON tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
I am not an ebay seller, so the ones on ebay aren't mine, but I am familiar with them. These were proof tickets found in a large turn of the century scrapbook. The tickets were kept by the ticket printing company as an example of the different types of tickets they made, and my guess was used to show prospective schools what they could do. My thoughts on the lack of perforations was that this was something done after the printing process, probably by a tool that once clamped upon a ticket created perforations. That just a theory on my part.
PERFORATION ON tickets and many other paper products first began in the late 1870's in the US , the Perforation process was part of the printing done with a long comb like metal blade that indented the paper , the press sheet of up to 20-30 full tickets would pass below the blade stopping as the blade came down.
the perf was added so the turnstile ticket collector, bus driver , train guard, could return the rain check part in timely and neater fashion , which was also proof of entry, seat position and a raincheck if needed .
many people or ticket collectors would fold at the perf line to make it easier to tear evenly , obviously judging by the 1000's of uneven tears this may have not been a common practice ,