View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Doug Goodman

I've made my living as a roadie for touring bands for the last 27 years. Nate's story reminded me of this one :

I went to a D-Backs game vs SF in mid-September of 2007, with a band who were going to throw out the first pitch. When we got to the game, the band members were presented with jerseys by the team rep. The drummer threw his on a thanked the team guy. The singer was holding his like it was a dead baby. You could see the gears spinning in the team guy's head, wondering what was wrong, like maybe they spelled the name wrong. The team guy asked what was wrong and the singer pointed to the Cubs hat he was wearing and said "Cubbies, baby, if I put that thing on and the Cubs lose in the playoffs, I'll be the next Bartman and they'll string me up on Rush Street"

After the drummer threw out the first pitch (that was the plan all along), we went to our seats, which were about 4 rows behind the D-Backs dugout. While I was filling in my scorecard before the game started, a guy climbed over the row of seats in front of us and introduced himself to the singer, I wasn't really paying attention, but the conversation was something to the effect of :

Guy who climbed over seats : "I heard there was a problem with our jersey"
Singer : "Once the Cubs knock you guys out of the playoffs, maybe we can talk"
Guy : "That's not going to happen"
Singer : "We'll see about that"
etc, etc

When the guy left, the singer nudged me with his elbow, causing me to draw a line across my neat (up until that point) scorecard.

Me : "Hey, what the f..."
Singer : "How cool was that?"
Me : "What?"
Singer : "Trash talking the owner of the team in his own stadium!"
Me : "Ok, that is kind of cool, even though you messed up my scorecard"

Unfortunately for the singer, the D-Backs swept his beloved Cubbies in the playoffs, so the story doesn't really have a happy ending.

Doug

PS - I play pretty good air drums, but I'm more Clive Burr era Iron Maiden than "25 or 6 to 4" era Chicago

Last edited by doug.goodman; 09-10-2011 at 10:42 AM.