View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 11:16 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Yes, and also add a third reason: the AH doesn't want to pay Visa/MC 3%, preferring to pass the cost along to the customer who wishes to pay by credit/debit card which, harking back to my original point, puts me in a hole when competing against fellow bidders, especially for desirable high value items, residing in a state where Heritage has no physical presence and who wish to pay by check. A smaller auction house, like Sterling, hungry for new and repeat bidders, must feel they have little choice but to absorb the 3% cost. A similar reasoning probably exists why Heritage won't take Ebay. The FL sales tax and credit card surcharge added $600 to my auction total and that was painful.
Also, since you mentioned Sterling, Sterling also charges 3% for using a CC. The difference is Sterling states it as a discount to the buyer's premium for other payment methods rather than as a charge for using a CC: "A buyer's premium equal to 19% of the high bid will be added to all lots. 3% discount will be applicable if payment is made by check, cash or money order. A $1000 winning bid will be charged $1190." Therefore if you're paying with a cc, your still paying more than the person who pays by check. I know LOTG and many other auction houses do the same. The smaller AH's aren't eating that 3% to get more business.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers