View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Default Diamond match "salesman samples"?

Posted By: davidcycleback

A matchbook expert would have to explain to me why it is a salesman sample. As you noted, it might be an unfinished product.

Compare to sportscard proofs, where proofs usually have blank backs, but not all blank backs are proofs. Most blank backs are printing boo boos not intended to reach the public or stores. If you find a blank back 1975 baseball card in a shoe box, you'd need additional information to call it a proof.

If the matchbook somehow matches the qualities of known salesman samples (calling matchbook historian), and/or it came from the estate of a travelling salesman, then you'd probably be safe in calling it a samlesman sample.

It should be noted that the typical baseball card salesman sample, was an uncut panel of the cards (key being to show off a variety of cards) with company ad pasted on back. If matchbook salesman samples were done differently, I don't know.

In my experience, salesman's samples of a variety of products are clearly different than the final product, including sheets and panels and booklets and even stamped 'salesman sample.' This, however, doesn't mean a salesman wouldn't be carrying around a few singles in his briefcase, nor that singles of cards or matchbooks weren't otherwise used as mailed promos. Again, if items came from the estate of a salesman, with the items used to promote the product, they would then appear to be salesman's samples-- samples used by a salesman.