View Single Post
Old 05-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Default your most prized posession... baseball related that is!

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

I don't collect much memorabilia, but my favorite item in my collection is a story I have that was handwritten by Casey Stengel, about the first time he faced Walter Johnson. It's written in pencil, and has tons of crossouts and stuff, but epitomizes a lot of what baseball is about to me: history, humor, competition, storytelling.

My scan of it is too big to post here, so I'll type in the content:

"I'll Never Forget The Day

It happened in October 1912 after the close of my first major league season in the National League in which I had hit over .300 and had an inflated value of my batting ability. I thought I could hit any pitcher.

A semi-pro promoter wired me at my home in K.C. the words "How would you like to come to Coffyville, Kansas next Sunday and try your luck hitting against Walter Johnson at Walter's Homecoming.

Well, Harry unfortunately for Stengel the day was clear and the game played.

Walter Johnson pitching against Earl Hamilton.

My first time at bat against Johnson I had three swings, no fouls, struck out. Second time at bat I tried meeting the ball, result three strikes, no fouls. Third time up I was now feeling cheap so I tried bunting same result without a foul ball. Fourth time up Result two swings but a moral victory I got a foul strike."

I just think that's awesome.

-Al