View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 01:12 AM

Default Wow

photo roque_zps5bdc0501.jpeg

Mr. Michael...wow now there's a whole new twist to my trophy's history...thanks so much for posting that...I had not heard of roque till now...Seems like a pretty good chance it's the same William Chalfant...Chalfant doesn't seem like a common name...If the Olympian Chalfant had a Jr. on the end that might lend credance....but then again by 1904, twenty two years after he won the trophy he may have had a son by named William by then and dropped the Jr...Assuming it was the same Chalfant...and say he was 18 when he won the trophy...that would make him about 40 when he was in the Olympics...sounds plausable...

Ya know Michael...your photo of Chalfant would look really good in my black cabinet displayed next to his trophy...I think we need to talk...

photo mallet_zps02145e44.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROQUE-MALLET...p2047675.l2557
Ended: Nov 02, 201311/2, 3:41PM
Sold for: US $75.00 [ 2 bids ]
I found the roque mallet above above that sold on eBay in 2013...below is a good description of the game the listing had..

Roque is a game derived from Croquet and was brought over from England in the late 1800's It was a Olympic game in 1904 but for that year only and it was won by the Americans. It is played on a synthetic hexagonal court 60' x30' with a raised wooden border. You were allowed to carom shots off the boarder. there were 4 balls Red, White, Blue and Black. Red & White were a team against Blue & Black. I will include a 5 page info sheet on the game with the purchase of the mallet. Mallets were shorter 15" to 24" and had a soft surface on one end and a hard surface on the other. All the ones I have previously had have been different leading me to believe they were custom made to the player. Head diameter is 2' and overall length is 19". The one end on this I believe to be Ivory and the other end is an hard rubber that has turned brittle. Wood head appears to be Walnut. Brass collars are a little loose but do not come off. Other defects are noted above. These are usually found in antique stores as a carpenters mallet.