View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Default Too many off topics again....suggestions?

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Here's my take. I think overall this board is very good and Leon does an excellent job of moderating. I do find it maddening sometimes, to see a really interesting thread digress to such an extent that the last thirty or so posts deal with the latest happenings in the entertainment or political world, or perhaps the latest Seinfeld rerun. My biggest pet peeve, though, is the policy to severely limit discussions of interesting vintage memorabilia topics. Don't get me wrong, vintage baseball cards are great. However, not only does it seem that it is becoming harder and harder to find new things to discuss, vintage baseball cards are only one (albeit the most important in terms of dollars spent) component of overall vintage baseball collecting. Perhaps the ultimate irony is that if one were to count all the off-topic posts, they would probably substantially outnumber all the on-topic vintage memorabilia posts. Now for those lovers of these off-topic posts, they will respond that we are simply having some fun and building some comraderie, and that if one doesn't like to read them, simply scroll past them. Fair enough, and I have no problem doing just that. However, why can't that same rationale apply to vintage memorabilia threads/posts? There seems to be something wrong with the business model of a board that seems to take great pride in being the most-read and most-influential baseball board yet is more tolerant of a discussion of a You Tube rock 'n' roll video than a Players League scorecard. It is my view that whatever the number of hits this board averages, that number would rise substantially if we made the topics this board covers more expansive. And what's the real downside? It will not take away any vintage baseball card threads. All it might do is force some people to spend a few seconds more scanning thread topics to know what to skip, a practice I might add many of us already have had quite a bit of practice in when avoiding off-topic posts/threads.