View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
A bunch of years ago I bought a 1951 Bowman Willie Mays RC BVG 7. Then off to SGC via crossover service, came back trimmed. Then off to PSA, same result - trimmed.
Trimmed as in unslabbed with the tags saying trimmed? Or simply "A"?

There's a difference, at least to me. A card that has an unusual cut or that is undersize by a certain amount will get an A even if it's not trimmed.

As to the original question, I have two vintage cards that aren't SGC or PSA.
One is GAI, and a common T206. I don't recall the grade, but it's somewhere in the G -VG range and I think the grade is accurate. I'd be very careful about high grade cards in GAI holders just by reputation.

The other is a 33 Delong that's Acu-Card 7. I don't have another fairly nice Delong to compare to, but while it is properly sized, I'm almost certain it's trimmed- like 99% sure.

I don't have any BVG graded cards, and only a couple modern cards graded by Beckett. The ones I've looked at seem to be either nice looking for the grade maybe with defects that don't appear in the scans, or the opposite, ones that look G but are graded VG-EX. Kinda puzzling, but if I don't like the card it doesn't really matter what holder it's in.

Steve B