View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 AM

Default Safety Deposit Box questions

I am thinking of putting about 30 of my graded cards in a safety deposit box. They are worth $4-5k, but some are 1/1 and it took some work to put them together.

I have a few concerns:

1) How to store them and maintaining the condition
I have my slabs in those resealable sleeves, so the cases don't get scratched. They are not air tight. Any issues keeping them that way in the box? Moisture maybe? Should I put them in ziplocks on top of it.

I am in Minnesota, so it's only humid a couple months in the summer, but even then, it's not like Florida or anything.

2) The safety deposit box is not mine. It's my dad's, but I have full access to it and no one else does. I could get my own box, but since the box is 40 minutes away, I figure I won't be tempted to sell. I've been known to sell my other collections when a good deal comes along or something else catches my eye.

There's nothing else of value in the box, just some papers and whatnot. I have a sister and we get along, so I don't think that's an issue. But, when someone dies, I've heard horror stories. And since people in my family tend to drop dead without notice I figure I'd just clear out the box right away.

When I collected gold and silver, I know some of those collectors would never put that in a box. Government's going to take it, screwed by heirs etc. were always the arguments I heard.

Any thoughts or opinions on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by silvor; 10-16-2018 at 06:53 AM.