View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Default Who Are The Hobby's Most Influential New Collectors

Posted By: J Levine

How about this Bruce...the three new collectors are actually completely meaningless. In the past year I talked to a person who loves baseball but had not bought a baseball card in 25 years since he was 10 years old. After talking to him and showing him some of my collection he went out and bought nearly $25,000 worth of T205s and T206s. Does that make him influential? Does it make me influential since I was the one giving him advice on what to buy? Does it make the dealer influential in selling the cards and reporting the profit?

Influence is often mislabeled (as Adam said far better than I could). Knowledge is power. Money is power. Which exerts more influence. The person with unlimited funds but no knowledge or the person with limited funds but proper knowledge? Hard to answer but I know where to spend my hard earned money.

Just tired of Bruce making my pittance of a card budget seem like it is insignificant(which has gone down nearly every year because our culture still refuses to acknowledge teachers as valuable...which is a whole other subject...).

Seriously Bruce. Maybe I missed it but when was the last time you published any article or gave any insight into the hobby other than letting us know that your money is huge and your collection valuable. I look at people like Tim Newcomb, TBob, Ted K., Adam W. as far more influential as their research has led to wonderful new insights into the hobby I love.

Every time I hear you talk about your collection as "we" I get the distinct impression that "we" includes your large ego, your two gigantic balls and nothing else.

I beg you to please just stop with the monetary analysis.

Joshua