Thread: Every year
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 07:18 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
It can be tough to fit in coaching sports with all that goes on in life, but a great coach can make such a difference. It sounds like you have a lot you could offer to aspiring hockey players, I'll be rooting for you if you take the plunge.

I've had the chance to be assistant coach for my older son's soccer team this year and my younger son's t-ball team a couple years back. Both were fun and I'm grateful that I could do it (although I found that by the end of the season I was ready for a break, and in both instances there were a couple kids on each team that drove me a little batty). I also figured out pretty quickly when my oldest son was quite young that even just a different voice other than a parent sometimes has an easier way of getting through to kids.

I wish I had gotten an earlier start on hockey - I didn't start skating until I was probably 12 or so. We had a neighborhood rink and there were many pickup games of hockey down there, so I had to learn fast. It was a ton of fun, and I'm a bit jealous these days of my friend who plays in a men's rec league, which I would get destroyed in.
I spoke with the boys Mom last night and she is all for it, except I found out through her he plays both Saturday and Sunday, and sometime Thursday as well.

In finding that out, I realized that won't leave a lot of open time for Stick and Puck but hopefully, if he has an early enough game on a Sunday morning, that he'll want to get out again for a 1pm skate?

Homework, of course, will come first but if he manages to get it completed and has the gumption still, then hopefully the odd Sunday here or there happens.

I agree a 100% with the bold, Garth. Most kids/boys tune out their parents voice of reason/teaching so having someone different there training/instructing definitely goes a lot farther for sure!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Like I mentioned, we'll see how this winter goes then I'll decide next year.
With any luck at all, I'd be real pleased if I could get on my friends son's team? Aside from looking for assistant coaches occasionally, trainers always seem to be in demand.