View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Because of the way the original question is worded, I disagree. Because it states what % buy/sell/trade as a hobby only...I believe it is more like 45 to 55%, as not only do a lot collectors not sell at all, but there is even greater amount that trade/sell only to further their collecting goals. I think there are about 30 to 35% that are more a hybrid of collector/flipper, and about 10 to 15% that are minimally interested in the cards themselves.

Brian - a man of discriminating percentages
Well-respected dealer Tony Arnold once told me (after I purchased a not inexpensive '53-'54 Briggs Meat Willie Mays from him) that he was both a dealer and a collector, and I was quite surprised. I myself tried that for awhile in the late '90's, running ads in Sports Collector's Digest under the name, "Forever Summer Cards." The problem I ran into was that I was extremely inclined to keep the best stuff rather than flip it for a profit when I had the chance. Tony gave me an interesting analogy, stating it probably was a little like being both drug dealer and user (which Tony is most emphatically not--he has been nothing other than the epitome of honesty and straight dealing in all of our interactions--I can recommend him quite highly). On the other hand, I once asked Bill Goodwin, who is also an immensely honest and fair and square dealer/auctioneer, if he personally collected anything, and his response was "only my mistakes."

I guess my point is that lots of us really like having the history of the game right there in our hands, and the line between collecting and being a dealer in this context is often quite tough to draw and maintain. Bill obviously has passion for the hobby, but quite a bit of self-discipline.

May you collecting be joyful,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.