View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 05:17 PM

Thumbs up Hooked on Vinyl (Again)

I recently rediscovered my love for vinyl records. I came across an old stereo from 1990 at Goodwill. It has a turntable, which works I was happy to find. So we dug out some of our old records...which sounded great.....except for the hissing and skips and such.

So I decided to replace some of those old worn out records with some nicer shape originals, some new stuff and what ever else I could find in decent condition on the cheap. After some research, I figured if I was going to do this, I may as well upgrade the stereo too. I was able to score a few different nice components, cheaply, so I spent the money on a new turntable. What a difference that made! Nice speakers, new turntable, nice receiver.....those old records sound so different now compared to when I was a kid. I “hear” so much more now, its like hearing a lot of them for the first time again. I just love the depth and warmth of vinyl so much more I’ve found. And records can be had cheap.....mostly.

Now being the collector I am, I’ve discovered test pressings. They can be cheap, they can be expensive. It seems that part of record collecting is the Wild West right now, with no rhyme or reason that I can see. Which is great, because I’m picking up pieces that I feel are undervalued. Even if they are not, they are classics which I love to listen to. And it appeals to the collector side of me to own a more rare item, kinda the best of both worlds for me. I listen to the regular record and collect the rare copies of said record.

I still buy cd’s and cassettes, listen to MP3’s, but nothing is as satisfying as listening to good old vinyl to me.

Anyone else back on the vinyl wagon?