Thread: May Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 07:46 PM

Default 1946 vintage signed Ed Head no-hitter ticket

I was able to come up with an unexpected, really cool addition to my signed no-hit ticket collection tonight.
Thanks to net54's own, Bud Obermeyer, I was able to pick up a vintage fountain pen signed ticket to Ed Head's no-hitter game on April 23rd, 1946 at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn. Thanks Bud!

NOTE: I now have tickets to 202 different no-hitter games dating back to 1901 and 138 of them are signed by the pitcher that hurled the no-hitter.
PLMK if you have any that you would like to sell.
I'm always a buyer for vintage no-hit tickets...

Here is Bud's account of how he came to own the no-hit stub, which comes with neat provenance:

"Ed Head was a starting pitcher in the Dodgers organization and was in military service during WWII. He returned to the Dodgers for the 1946 season and started his first game on April 23rd at Ebbets Field vs the Boston Braves. Head pitched a no hitter that day. A few weeks later Head injured his shoulder and never appeared in the Major Leagues thereafter.

This signed no-hit ticket stub was among the 200+ Brooklyn Dodgers memorabilia items that I (Bud- sic) purchased from the Henry "Henny" Vehling estate in 1991. Vehling was the owner of Henny's Tavern in Glendale, Queens from the 1930s to the 1960s and his tavern was frequented by many of the Brooklyn Dodgers players. Vehling was a major booster of the team and many personal photos of him with players and front office personnel were included in his estate."

Last edited by Scott Garner; 05-19-2016 at 03:46 AM.