View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Steve

Default If only there really was a wayback machine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
The 73 F Robby is one of my favorite cards. I remember pulling it from a pack
in 1973 with snow on the ground, after my mom brought home a pack from the grocery store.

I called my friend who lived down the road to tell him baseball cards were in the stores.

He 1 upped me later in the week, when a family friend who owned a gas station and had access to wholesale markers got him either a vending box or a wax box. Either way, he had fun at age 10 busting that whole box.
Great recall. Reminded me of a box experience of my own. My father once owned a small tobacco/magazine store and I used to help him out once in a while after getting out of the service back in the 60's. One day, I found him standing in the stockroom, scratching his head looking at two large boxes that had been hidding in a corner. They were waxboxes of 1968 Topps cards left over from the year before. He was sure his distributor wouldn't take them back for credit because they were over a year old. I can still picture him, chomping on his cigar and waving at the boxes as he told me take them out back and toss them into a dumpster. Meant nothing to me then - I had long since lost all interest in cards. But, now I have to wonder how many HOFers were in all those unopened packs.