View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
Ron (RIP) did have nearly every list of every trade card and accumulated by his account30,000++ trade cards. His last compiling of the BB cards expanded on the Keetz (sr.) seminal work on BB trade cards. I would suggest looking around some prior auction catalogs as well - they will help provide a sort of hierarchy in terms of value/scarcity - but mostly the value is in the extensive write-ups in their auction catalogs (hyperbole and all) from some early guys like Kit Barry (still around apparently), Russ Musceri (likely around), Aiglatson Johnny T. and others.
At some point the trade card market mostly ran out of gas. Perhaps it was the rapid price escalation compared with the dwindling amount of quality material that was coming to market. Also the general decline of all collectibles in 2000/2008 along with the economy. Trade cards are still a great insight into the times, they express great artistry rendered by unnamed craftsman and they have all the elements one might look for in a hobby. I have a few tougher base ball examples in my collection. David much more on top of things than I - but happy to add a different eye/perspective to something trade card related should you want it.
BTW - I can't think of any trade cards that are score cards - but there are scorecards with trade cards fronts. I also sold a BB folder from the manufacturer whose front was used as a trade card (Clef series) so sometimes there are grey areas....
Several Robert Edwards lots were key to the identifications I needed to make.

The brownie, I am assuming, was issued with a blank back to allow the companies that used it to add whatever info they wanted. This one was a tailor in Allentown, PA and like I said I assume he gave these away at a local ballpark as advertising.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions