View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 01:31 PM

Many thanks for your kind comments about NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, Ben. I'm not ashamed to say I got misty-eyed after reading them.

I could not agree more with what you say about our sorely missed Mr. Bob Lemke. He had so much fun creating new cards of old with his many fantasies, as well as research and hobby history galore. So glad you were able to get some help from him. I wanted to have thanked him for uncovering that little tidbit from THE SPORTING NEWS proving the 1962 JELL-O baseball cards were indeed regionally-issued, first in the Chicagoland area where I saw them, and in Milwaukee, where the great collector-dealer Larry Fritsch got them, when he wasn't getting them in Chicago during his daily or weekly train rides whist working his job with the railroad. However, sad and angry as I am about it, I did not get to thank Bob for that research. However, my book had already gone to press a few months prior to the time that Bob reprinted the little piece he found in that spring 1962 issue of TSN, but I'm still thankful to him for the research. We have some guys on here that think a great deal of that '62 JELL-O baseball set, and I strongly agree with them. Don't have many of those delightful cards, but I'm pretty well passed the age of expensive collecting, anyway.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Ben You're a gem to the hobby, brother.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-23-2019 at 01:44 PM.