Thread: Paypal question
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Default Paypal question

Posted By: warshawlaw

I think I know why you all are reporting different outcomes and different rules. The problem is that Paypal's rules are in a constant state of flux and are often in conflict as a result. Take a look at their rules and you will see over a dozen patches and changes. Not all of them harmonize. They have a February 2003 rule about freezing your account if you use the credit card charge back provisions without using their buyer protection program but a later rule bulletin that says that it is your choice to use the credit card charge back or paypal's resolution framework. I assume that the later set of rules would control in the event of a conflict but they never make it explicit. The other thing to note is that as far as I can tell, their most recent buyer protection scheme does not apply unless the seller meets the following criteria:

1.The seller's eBay feedback rating is at least 50;
2.At least 98% of the seller's eBay feedback is positive. The percentage calculation for this purpose includes feedback from repeat users, and therefore may be higher than the unique positive feedback percentage displayed on eBay;
3.The seller is a member of PayPal in one of the following countries: U.S., Canada, Germany, U.K.
4.The seller has a Verified Premier or Business PayPal account;
5.The seller's PayPal account is in good standing.

Obviously, most of the fly by nighters who cheat people are not going to meet these criteria. In my prior case, it would not have helped me at all.

Since I do not trust their mechanisms to do anything after my recent problem with fake cards, I will always buy an expensive item with my CC over paypal and if there is a problem, opt to go with the credit card.