View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
Yankee team collector here. I collect Yankee cards from their start in the early 1900's thru current, but i do put some limitations on that.

I dont worry about whats on the back, i will go after front variations for sure, but not different backs.

Yankee collecting is hard financially due to the incredible number of superstars from years ago, so i dont hold the line on condition. I buy what i can afford, and to me its way better to have a Goudey Ruth in PSA-1 condition than not to have one in nicer condition because i cant afford it. I do though try real hard to get good eye-appeal on my lessor condition cards, it takes some work, but all low graded cards are not equal on the eye, some are so much better looking than others, and those are the ones i go after.

I try to get every Yankee card i can from 1980 and older. Starting in 1981 when multiple sets started being produced, i collect a representative sample of Topps cards each year and also any other cards that i really like, but no way do i try to get them all.

In 35 years of collecting, i have a tremendous amount of Yankee cards, and love when i can complete a team set from any year, particularly the old ones like T205, T206, T207, Goudeys, Diamond Stars, etc.

I think being a team collector is a fantastic way to collect as it gives you an enormously varied collection full of great old cards and really nice newer ones too.
In a certain way, I collect cards from E121-80 and E 121-120 of the Yankees and Giants. This is my 1921 World Series collection. My great great uncle was the center fielder for the Yankees is the reason for this collection.