View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 12:41 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I wonder if someone was tied in rbis and his team was out of contention but chose to rest the last game or if he was tied in some other main statistic that just counts and doesnt go by averages.

I not sure who the hit champion (total number of hits) was in the National League but i if someone won the batting title and had the most hits, i dont think anyone should care how many games at the end of the year that person sits out since has the most hits...

afterall all games count, maybe the guy that is chasing for the title already 'sat out' a game in the middle of the year.
First, I'm not sure what your first sentence fragment means, since it is incomplete, so I might totally be missing the point. But I'm not sure how the most hits has anything to do in justifying the winning or losing of the batting title, but I'll bite with this example.

Person A has 210 hits and 20 walks and has .334 average and decides to sits out the last game. Person B has 208 hits and 100 walks and has a .333 average and doesn't sit out. Person A and B are comparable in other categories (HR, 3B, 2B, etc). After the last game played, Person A will have missed 10 more games than Person B.

If Person B goes 1 for 3 with 2 walks in the last game, Person A still wins batting title but Person B is way more productive.

Since I don't think they give a major award for on base percentage (though I could be wrong), I could see why someone might care.