View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Default policy on auctions in progress?

Posted By: Eric Brehm

Dave -- okay, thanks, that's what I figured was the reasoning, I just wanted to check. I can certainly understand that sentiment, however my feeling is that all you are doing by limiting the exposure of a public auction is rewarding people who spend a lot of time browsing eBay and/or are good at doing searches. And yes, I would feel that way even about something that I myself was interested in, that I hoped I would get at a good price. If nobody else sees it, and that's how I win, okay fine I got lucky, but I get no particular satisfaction out of that.

On the other hand, and you raise a very good question, I wouldn't think that members of this forum should systematically look for good deals out there and broadcast them for everyone here to try to take advantage of. I guess that would be a bit too much interference in the fair operation of the market. Hard to know where to draw the line there. (Besides, most auctions aren't resolved until the last minute anyhow, so identifying an item that is likely to sell below market is virtually impossible to do.)