View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
I am overwhelmed by all of your kind responses. I'm very moved. Thank you.

As I have told some of you, now that I cannot afford "the good stuff", and am "out of the game", I feel free to tell my fellow collectors everything I know about these great cards, coins, et al (pun intended!).

Numerous hobby legends granted me priceless interviews, and some of them are now sadly deceased. I wanted to bring as many reputable hobby names into my book, to let their voices speak. I'm a nobody, but I know a good story when I hear it. So, when Larry Fritsch, Lionel Carter, Rob Lifson, Bill Zimpleman, Jack Urban, Mr. Mint Alan Rosen, Clay Hill, George Husby, Doak Ewing, Mark Hellman, James Cumpton, and several others talked to me, they shared what they knew and told some riveting sea stories that were amazing. They also gave me some great stories involving other hobby legends, such as Buck Barker, George Lyons, and Bob Solon. The stories conspired to make these once "free prizes" come alive again, as well as the boys and men who ravenously pursued them.

Probably my favorite source was a retired history teacher who has a photographic memory. He grew up in Baltimore as a baseball and baseball card-lovin' youngin', the only child in his family. He fell in love with the Esskay Franks Baltimore Orioles. I sent him a TEN-page history test on his adventures collecting those beautiful cards. He took the test seriously and gave me a simply marvelous and very delightful personal portrayal of his life during those two years Esskay issued them. He was just 10-11 years old, and remembered those events as if they were yesterday.

Why is that card so special?

Why are they so hard to come by?

Why is that item worth so much?

What was it like to collect them back in the day, and during the burgeoning years of the adult card hobby?

These were among the questions I tried to address.

Well, my friends, gotta take care of some business, and head to work for the rest of the day. Thanks again for the swell comments. You've made me very happy.

---Brian Powell

Hey Brian- I am intrigued. Where can I get a copy of your book?

Thanks,
Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente