View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default East Coast National show in August

Posted By: J Levine

First off, I am not 24 and 25...I am 33. People around here do not know my history very well but I want you to understand something. I love baseball. The memories I have with my grandfather and father are worth more to me than my SGC 20 Cobb Red Portrait (yes, I do have one and plan to sell it but to people I respect). The memories that people have of the players you bashed are precious to them. Ever wonder why guys like VanderMeer, Dooin, Chase, Frank Howard, Don Larsen, Bobby Thompson, Johnny Pesky, etc. are still popular today? It is because of the memories. People love memories like you love money. I know this may be hard for you to grasp but it happens. Would you trade the memory of your daughter being born for a Million Dollars? Of course not (at least I hope not).

Another thing I think you might want to learn is respect (I hope you really take this to heart). When I started my research into the Phillies list I was given some great advice by a very advanced collector I had the pleasure of trading with, Jim Montgomery. He told me to talk to the old time collectors and listen twice as much to what they have to say. As a result, by the time I was 24 I had talked and bought from Terry Knouse, Gar Miller, Frank Nagy, Lew Lipsett, Jim and Ginny (can not remember their names), Rob Lifson, Kit Young, and others. I listened long and hard to their stories and advice. It is important to show respect because there will always be someone with more knowledge (or money) than you. Always.

One last thing. Up until the last year, I have kept a fairly low profile but was lured out into the open by a friend of mine who said my Phillies collection and my t205 research might be of value to new collectors. I was young once. In fact, I was the youngest in my trading group for many years. I always listened. Now I am a little older and implore you to listen to people. When someone asks a question you know nothing about, don't answer but if you feel compelled to, think about your answer first.

Also remember that baseball is a game that is built upon it's past. Learn that past, even the little plays have consequences for years to come. Colavito probably would have been a Hall of Famer. Look up why he is not and think about the impact (no pun) that had on the Indians and Cardinals of the '60s.

Joshua