View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 11:25 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk400 View Post

I'd like to see Pettitte and Clemens in the HOF. I'm not convinced that steroids helps pitchers as much as hitters.
PED's shorten recovery time, enhance reaction time and make muscles stronger and more durable. I'd make the argument that chances are the PED users that took them already possessed Hall of Fame talent, PED's just enhanced it.

Especially in cases of guys like Clemens, and Bonds. Steroids gave their careers a new life. Clemens was on a downswing before them. Bonds was putting up MVP caliber numbers still. In the case of Clemens it allowed him to turn back the clock and regain what he lost from his youth. In the case of Bonds, it showed us how an inner-circle Hall of Fame talent, could become a literal god amongst men.

The two best players of their time, IMO,...were barry bonds and Ken Griffey, Jr. One decided that because mcgwire and sosa were getting all the attention, while he was clearly a superior player already, he would cheat too.

The other one decided to continue to do things the RIGHT way- he got injured and aged like everyone else - on tbe LEVEL playing field.

It did not help that the one who decided to check was an entitled jerk, who stood on the shoulders of greats like his godfather and Hank Aaron and the other one, also a son of a star major leaguer, did things the RIGHT way with a broad smile and obvious joy in playing the game.

IMO, Baseball's greatest draw is that the average-sized person (albeit with hard work and a little self-made luck) could reasonably imagine himself being down in that dugout with the greats of the Game.

Loosing that connection has damaged the Game

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 01-26-2024 at 10:02 AM.