View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Larry

Default Ted Williams' rarest card?

The matter of Ted Williams' rarest/toughest card came up in another thread. I know that the '54 Bowman used to have that mystique due to the fact that it had been pulled over a contract dispute between Topps and Bowman, but these now show up regularly in auctions, and PSA has graded over 600 of them. Joe Orlando commented sometime ago that professional grading has really disclosed that that particular card isn't all that rare, and its value has consequently taken a hit over the last decade or so in accordance with the increasing number being offered.

The '54 Wilson's Franks have probably gone for the most $$$ in recent years, but the PSA pop (yes, I know, Leon, "snap, crackle, pop") report shows 113 of these. Even allowing for resubmissions, I think that this would have to carry some weight. In comparison, the '52 Red Man Tobacco Williams with tabs has been graded just 125 times--interesting how close it is to the Wilson's issue!

On the other hand, there has been just one 1939 Goudey R303-A graded. I would be very hesitant to believe that the mere large size of this premium has held it back from being graded to any significant extent, since it would share status with the '39 Playball as Ted's true rookie. How many of those has anyone really seen? I also believe that one could make a case for the '39 Exhibit No. 9 shows as being a 1939 only card, and therefore also a rookie, but we'll probably never know for sure on that one. I do believe, however, that I see about the same number of '39 Exhibit No. 9 shows as '54 Wilsons (it's just that fewer of the former have been graded when offered for sale). Similarly tough issues would obviously include the 1952 Star-Cal's (2 of Williams), but these were rather large items intended as stick-em decals--do you guys consider these cards?

Other leading candidates for Williams' rarest? I'm sure Leon or Adam will come up with something in this regard that may top them all! Since old Teddy Ballgame is one of my all-time favorites, I'd really like to know.

All the best, guys,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 04-01-2011 at 12:04 PM.