Thread: Card grading
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default Card grading

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

I saw another post that discussed card grading, and I started to write a long response there, but I think this deserves a base post.

There are people who could have made a definitive card grading standard long ago, but they haven't done it. Beckett, Tuff Stuff, and SCD, all of these magazines could have made a good standard, but instead we have vagueness.

The professional graders could also make a definitive standard, but they also promote vagueness.

I've heard rumors of books on the subject, but these books haven't become a global standard, either.

I sell raw material, and I want to sell it with grades, and have my buyers like what they get. I can't know if they are going to like what they get if I don't know what they expect, and perhaps they won't know what they should expect if they don't know what the grades mean either.

So I have written a grading standard, and when I auction cards, I put a pointer to my standard in the auction.

http://www.seanet.com/~brucemo/card_articles/grading.htm

The problem is that I am a relative newbie to card collecting and card grading. I've only been selling cards for three years. A lot of you have been at this a lot longer than I have, and perhaps you can criticize my standard or suggest additions.

My standard has been on the web for over six months, and in that time I've received a lot of positive comments. I'm going to try to expand it further.

If you see anything wrong, or think that I should add anything or reorganize anything, please let me know.

Thank you,

bruce