View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Yet Jacoby Ellsbury's nickname is Chief as he had that on his Player's Weekend jersey...just sayin'...

Jacoby Ellsbury: "Chief"
Ellsbury is part Navajo, and he is honoring his heritage this weekend with a nickname a lot of his teammates have called him over the years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb...names.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's understandable that not every member of a given minority has an issue with race-specific nicknames.

I'm Guessing that it is also true that Jacob Ellsbury's personal connection to his cultural past may not be as strong as those who, in the first half of the 20th century (at least) were the objects of far worse abuse than the playful 'Chief' called out Ellsbury's way.

IMO, the root of racism is not in the actual word, but rather the intent behind that word.

I doubt very seriously if Jacoby's teammates are aiming to demean him by calling him that and his choosing to use it for the 'nickname event', indicates that.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente