View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 01:08 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Always tempted to buy a rack pack Xmas or not, or wax. But I'm always thinking about condition, off center or other. In the end the odds of finding something legit or real good are very low. 1955 bowman mantle aside.

So in the end i'll stay away.
The '55 Bowman Mantle from the National last year was out of cello, not a rack - at least that is my recollection. It's currently up in the Goldin October Legends auction where the current bid is $26k. Um yeah, I'll take two...

Fun to me to peruse this thread again. I am far too skeptical of the Christmas Racks phenomena to ever spend a decent buck on them, but must admit I like / love the idea of them if even a small percentage were "real" and ever done like this back in the 1960's or 70's or at least before the hobby became fully self-aware in the mid-1980's. As a kid, there were always cards I pined after and (certainly in the days before the interwebs...) could literally never find simply because I was not old enough. In my example, I started collecting in 1986, and would always want a particular card from maybe the early 80's or even the late 70's that I had seen somewhere, but could never find for myself with limited resources and having to beg my folks to take me to a card shop. So I'm picturing how cool it would have been for a kid in 1965 to walk into a store and find a 1956 or 1960 Christmas rack with a Mantle showing on closeout...

I guess we'll never know whether things like that actually happened or not...but if so I bet it made some kids really happy. :-)

Last edited by jchcollins; 09-26-2019 at 01:31 PM.