View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 07:56 PM

Default Starting to invest for the daughter...

Hello all, this is my first post on the card side of Net 54.

A quick background on me:

I began collecting cards around the age of 5 back in 84. I sold my card collection nearly 20 years ago to focus on the memorabilia/autograph side of the hobby. Presently, I do not own any cards other than 1971 and 1972 Topps sets I couldn't part with when I was selling off my collection.

Long story, we were at my mother's friend's annual 4th of July party sometime in the late 1980s. Her sons still had their cards at their house, and hearing that I collected cards, they gave me all of their doubles and triples! There was a vast majority of 71s and 72s in those doubles, and that led me to completing those sets at local shows shortly afterwards.

Anyways, I have been putting stuff away for my daughter since she was born. I have some early Pirates stuff, several Wagner autographs, and a Babe Ruth signed cut put away for her to be given to her at a much later time.

Anyways, I want to start investing in vintage cards again. For her. Something I can put away for a rainy day or something like that. Not looking to break the bank. Since you guys have been around the card industry for a more extended period of time than I have, I need your advice.

I want to stay away from modern-era card entirely. I think the prices for them is beyond ridiculous. In watching the vintage card industry from afar for the last few years, I see vintage Mantles are a good bet for investing.

Any and all help would be appreciated.