View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Please tell me more about this. Was this find ever written up anywhere? This is a new one to me.
There were several ads in the old SCD with lists of the common cards available, I remember 3-4 full page ads of just vertical columns of player names in small font size in one issue. This was when SCD was large format, like a really old Life magazine. They were using a grading scale that went into decimals to try and describe the difference in conditions (9.9 or 9.925 or 9.975 etc.

The cards originally walked into a shopping mall show where some were purchased and then the rest were tracked down by Southern Cards. I believe this was in North Carolina.

The theory at the time was that a worker at the packing factory took home a box of cards that were meant to be inserted into the packs. I think we know that the cards were printed in NYC and shipped to the various factory locations and inserted.

If you look at both PSA and SGC population reports of cards that grade 8-9-10 you will see that some have multiples more so than others (Johnson portrait for example) its likely that these are from the find. There were McGraw finger in air cards and Keeler batting in multiples if I remember correctly. I have personally owned portraits of Evers, Chance red, Joss, Lajoie and Fred Clarke as well as SL of Coles, Helm and Paige from this group.

There were many "diamond cut" cards with huge borders and even some trapezoid cuts where the bottom edge was straight and the top was extremely tilted like a barn roof.

I imagine that many of the cards are in 6-7-8 holders because of quality control or just movement in the storage box etc., but the idea that all high grade T206 are trimmed is not the case as I know some people think (understandably).

Brian Goldner (JuJuDrum) knows a bit about this find as well, he and I were trading cards from it back and forth for a couple years back then!

GB

Last edited by boneheadandrube; 07-10-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling