View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Rob, Mike, Mark and all,

I also want to note that my pinback not only doesn't have the easel, it does not have the clear "film" over the image like Rob's Juan Marichal that has the easel (which I also own in my collection). Instead, my Ryan pinback appears to have the image directly printed on the front of the metal button, if you are following me...

It does appear that perhaps two processes were used when producing these pinback:

One which features the easel back and the clear film on the front of the button.
The other version has the photographic image applied directly to the metal pinback front with no easel back.

Can anyone else confirm this?
I recently had a beat up Clemente where water got beneath the clear plastic cover and it peeled off leaving only the printed image on the face of the button. When touched it feels like it was printed on paper and affixed with adhesive. The easel on the reverse was made of cardboard that suffered water damage and separated from the pin. This resulted in the back looking exactly like your Ryan. I'll see if I can locate it.

The font on Palmer looks closest to the Morgan than any pin I have seen previously.

Last edited by 71buc; 05-14-2014 at 07:46 PM.