View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
As long as PSA high grade commons sell for astronomical amounts while high grade SGC commons barely sell for enough to get your grading fee back, then PSA will always be the leader. My vote was for "They are all in the same boat"...which is true. All of them have their pluses and minuses, and all of them make mistakes.
I agree with the last sentence above, but when it comes to who is the "leader," I think that whole notion of a leader is rather moot-- when we focus on the cards and not their holders. If I want a card, I try and seek out the best specimen in my budget-- who the "leader" is just doesn't figure in. And I trust that if I ever choose to sell, with patience a great quality card will find a collector of cards and not a specific brand of holder.

Now with respect to the prices of graded commons and the PSA Registry driving that market, there is no debating that PSA graded commons sell for the most. But Registry Set collecting of commons is but one type of collector out there-- and may even rep a smaller segment of the buyers/collectors out there. I'd venture that there are more collectors who want the best examples they can afford of stars than there are collectors of graded commons.

A holder to me is kind of like a frame for a picture; I admire the painting far more than the frame.

Last edited by MattyC; 07-01-2013 at 12:13 AM.