View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 01:03 PM

There is no blanket rule with Burke's. He did not use copy negatives to make his postcards as a rule, he used his original negatives. I am sure there are exceptions where he did not take the original photograph (he used other people's negatives for old timers). The postcards are pretty much exactly the same as his regular photos, just with a back that says "post card" and printed on a different size. The paper stock is consistent with his paper stock used to make his traditional larger photographs.

You could walk into your local photo shop between 1905-1940's and have any negative you supplied them made into photo postcards. I have owned many collections in which there is a photo postcard and a regular photograph done at the same time by the same company off the same negative. It was just a preference on behalf of the person making the photos how they wanted the finished product. If PSA has a blanket rule on RPPC issues similar to their other rules about Horner cabinets etc., that's fine and I can live with that; but from a purely photographic standpoint, there is absolutely nothing that makes this not a Type 1 assuming the original negative was used to make it and it was done within 2 years.

I have some beautiful Burke real photo postcards. They are stunning and completely off the original negatives. Also, the postcards are rarer to find than normal Burke's from my experience so no copy negative would have been needed for mass production.

Last edited by prewarsports; 06-01-2018 at 01:04 PM.